Thursday, April 8, 2010

vanilla sugar

rhubarb

Last week, I tried out Molly's recipe (by way of Canal House Cooking) for Roasted Rhubarb.  It was utterly delicious, of course - the red wine and vanilla really gave the rhubarb a robust flavor.  As soon as it came out of the oven, my mom arrived at our apartment, and the three of us immediately devoured the stuff atop thick and creamy greek yogurt.  It was heavenly!  and sure to become a regular recipe for me, as I am a huge rhubarb fan.  (I like all things tart).

Though, I just hated the thought of throwing away a perfectly good (and expensive) vanilla bean.  And so, vanilla-sugar I made.

vanilla bean sugar

According to this lovely cookbook - First, dry out the vanilla bean by hanging it from a cabinet knob for two days.  Then, plop it into a jar of sugar and muss it around.  Yum!  I can't wait to bake with it!
signature